Bikes for the Philippines is run completely by volunteers. If you are looking for community service opportunities for yourself, your school or organization, we may have a solution. Contact us to explore possibilities. The following are just a few ongoing efforts:
- Fundraise — Set a manageable goal to strive for. Check with employers to see if they will match funds or are looking for corporate community service initiatives to participate in. Encourage fundraiser participants to set individual goals that will collectively equal achieving a larger goal.
- Bike collection — While we send recycled bikes from the US through our partner Bikes for the World in VA, arrangements can be made to pick up collected bikes from some locations (North to Massachusetts and South to North Carolina). With each donated bike we ask for an additional $10 to help with collection expenses such as truck rental to collect and deliver bikes to the warehouse in Virginia. To help get yourself organized visit: http://bikesfortheworld.org/organize/begin-organizing.
- Container loading — Container loadings are generally scheduled during the work week and take place over the span of two days. We appreciate volunteers who can give their time over both days, however helping even for one day would be a great contribution.
- Spread the word — Have members and supporters sign up for Bikes for the Philippines newsletter and allow emails from Bikes for the Philippines to clear personal email boxes. Allow Bikes for the Philippines email communications be forwarded to friends and relatives.
- Unloading/distribution in Manila — Coordinating container’s release from Manila port can be tricky however; groups can try to schedule joining in training, distribution and other activities in Manila.